Entering and Exiting the Research Room:
Please sign-in/out using our log book. A researcher must sign the book daily when entering the Research Room and sign-out when leaving for the day. Staff may limit times at the workstation if there is a waiting list.
Identifying and Requesting Materials:
A researcher may consult the research catalog and finding aids. Staff will provide instructions on using the catalog and other reference materials, and will help the researcher identify relevant research materials.
One set of research materials will be delivered to a researcher at a time.
Printing & Photocopy Services:
The Middletown Historical Society does not allow self-service photocopying of original materials. If copies are desired and condition of the materials permit, staff will provide photocopy request forms, policies, and instructions. Printed material and photocopies cost 25¢ per page.
- Use materials only at the workstation. If you have questions about the materials, ask staff to come to your station.
- Remove one folder or item from a box at a time, making sure to keep the materials in order. Do not rearrange files; report any apparent mis-filings to staff.
- Handle materials carefully
- Write only on paper placed on the table top. Do not write on top of research materials.
- Use cotton gloves (provided by staff) when handling photographs or manuscript documents or maps requiring special protection.
- Inform staff when you need more materials or are finished with materials.
- Flag pages or documents to be copied by using paper slips (provided by staff)
- Be considerate of fellow researchers. For extended conversations, go outside the room.
- Silence all cell phones before entering the Research Room.
Items Prohibited in the Research Room:
- Three-ring binders
- Folders or spiral notebooks with pockets
- Mechanical pencils
- Computer and camera cases
- Briefcases and Suitcases
- Handbags and Pocketbooks
- Food and drinks
Pencils, loose leaf paper, notecards, laptop computers (without case), hand-held cameras (without case), and magnifying glasses are permitted.